Out of the Blue by TKMphoto


Just when it looked like my friend Corey and I would go a whole summer without making the trip up the higher portions of the Mendenhall Glacier to climb and explore, our schedules and the sunshine all came together this past Saturday, and we met on the east side of the ice where a giant waterfall was rushing underneath the glacier. I had made the long hike out West Glacier Trail and trekked across the ice, and Corey had pack-rafted across the lake with his friend Dawn and taken a more challenging route up because they're way cooler than I am. Corey's coolness came up big again in the making of this photo. I climbed in this moulin too, but from just about every angle, I looked like a complete dork while I was climbing. Corey doesn't just climb expertly; he manages to look good doing it. We also owe a huge thanks to Dawn for belaying because you can't take photos like this safely without three people in your group. Sometimes I pick an angle to make a climb look more impressive than it really was, but this photo barely does this climb justice. If you take a minute, you can get better appreciation of the situation by following the cascading water in the background as far down in to the darkness as you can see.

from 500px http://ift.tt/1fjwHDR
via IFTTT

Popular Posts